Special Election Tuesday, September 25, 2018
There was ONE question on the ballot and it's all about MARIJUANA:
|What does a YES vote mean?||
|What does a NO vote mean?||
ALLOW ALL TYPES of marijuana establishments in BELMONT and would NOT LIMIT the number of retail establishments. Retail stores as well as cultivators, manufacturers, and testing labs could apply for a license from the State to operate in Belmont.
What this ballot question does NOT DO:
- It does NOT ban marijuana retail stores; neither a YES nor a NO vote would "opt-out" Belmont from marijuana establishments. It restricts the type and number of licenses that would be available for issuance by the State.
- It does not circumvent zoning bylaws. The Planning Board is diligently drafting bylaws for adult-use marijuana establishments, to be voted on at Town Meeting later this fall.
- It does not pertain to Medical Marijuana (see warrant discussion in URL link above).
BACKGROUND: In the 2016 November General Election, a majority of votes cast in Belmont were in favor of allowing adult-use recreational marijuana in MA. This makes Belmont a "YES Town" and different rules apply to "YES Town" than "NO Towns". Therefore, Belmont is required to have a special election for ANY restriction on adult-use marijuana.
For more information:
- Video of our LWV Marijuana Info Session on Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Copy of Slides used at LWV Marijuana Info Session on September 20, 2018
- MA Marijuana Regulations
- Belmont Board of Health Regulations
- Belmont Town Clerk information on Marijuana Question
- Belmont Planning Board information on Marijuana Bylaws