2020-2021 Committees and Teams for greater Washtenaw County
See the many ways to get involved in the League. For general information or to volunteer contact membership [at] lwvannarbor.org
Advocacy – Contact advocacy [at] lwvannarbor.org for interest or further information
- The League takes action and advocacy on issues to inform our members and community of League positions. Advocacy and action cannot be taken without a position.
- Seeking members to serve as legislative watchdogs
- Needs input to determine member interest in specific issues
- Currently the LWV of AAA and the greater Washtenaw County has a monthly meeting; every third Tuesday at 3:00 via zoom. The issues we are currently working on include voting rights for all including the incarcerated and those returning citizens; health care for all, the environment and affordable housing. We seek members interested in joining our discussion either to engage in these issues or to find support to start a new advocacy group on furthering social justice within the League.
Membership contact membership [at] lwvannarbor.org
- · Facilitate communication between League committees needing volunteers and new members/volunteers.
- · Help members learn about the League and how to join in
- o Use social media, tables at public events and other strategies.
- · Coordinate distribution of membership information at all public events.
- · Present orientation sessions, llive and on-line, to facilitate member engagement.
- · Engage in outreach work to individuals in historicially under-represented communities and groups.
Observer Corps -
- Attend local governmental unit meetings and provide feedback
- Recruit and train additional volunteers for this new program
- Help plan and coordinate events
- Monthly events: Lunch & Learn (4th Friday noon) and Brews & Views (3rd Wednesday evening)
- Public forums
- Membership meetings
Technology & Communications - Email management, newsletter, website, Facebook, graphic design, publicity. Bring your technical skills to help communicate to the community and our membership.
- Looking for webmaster(s) to be responsible for a portion of the site - calendar, news, etc.
- Reasonably-tech-savvy person to work with email system - post and send messages provided by League teams.
- For more information, contact league [at] lwvannarbor.org (Susan Wooley) and put COMMUNICATIONS in subject line.
Voter Service - Oversees voter information related to elections (May, August and November);
- Assist with voter registration programs (on going throughout the year)
- Assist with Candidate Forums as a time, greeter and/or moderator
- Help prepare questions for candidates based on current events, issues and legislation
- Manage VOTE411.org for Washtenaw County
Information Table at Events such as Art Fair, festivals, colleges
- Coordinating the staffing and set up of booth
- Being part of the committee to handle logistics, scheduling
- Take a turn or two staffing the booth, talking with passersbys, handing out literature