The following community events are not sponsored by the League but may be of interest to its members:
- February 1 (4 PM): Tickets are now available for the Richard Allen Coalition's 5th Annual Gala, "Celebrating Our Rich Heritage," featuring keynote speaker, Dr. Howard Stevenson of the University of Pennsylvania. The event will take place at the CHEER Community Center, 20520 Sand Hill Road, Georgetown, Delaware, and tickets must be purchased in advance. The cost of tickets is $40/ person, and may be purchased by contacting
Brenda Milbourne at 302-362-0353. Table sponsors will be recognized
in the program and with a table plaque.
- February 1 (7:45 am – 6:45 pm): Bus trip to Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture sponsored by the Southern Delaware Alliance for Racial Justice. Although this event is sold out, you can add your name to the waiting list. Please contact Ann Loar Brooks (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- February 7 (7PM): CAMP Rehoboth and The Southern Delaware Alliance for Racial Justice (SDARJ) are collaborating to host “Shine a Light” at the CAMP Rehoboth Community Center, 37 Baltimore Avenue, Rehoboth Beach Avenue, Rehoboth Beach. There will be an art exhibit followed by a panel discussion that reveals what it was like for African Americans to grow up in Sussex County. The panelists will include Ms. Jacqueline Goodwin, Mr. Clem Jordan, Ms. Stell Parker-Selby, Ms. Ruth Palmer and Ms. Waynne Paskins.
- February 11th (7pm): “Finding Our Voice: Songs of Struggle and Inspiration,” presented by the Southern Delaware Alliance for Racial Justice at the Trinity Faith Christian Center, 15516 New Road in Lewes. The audience will learn the history of great songs and records that inspired the movement for freedom and liberation, and enjoy music provided by Christy Taylor and the Empowered Cultural Heritage Orchestra (ECHO) and singers.
- February 14-16: The Rehoboth Beach Film Society’s third annual African-American Film Festival will be held at the Cinema Art Theater, 17701 Dartmouth Drive, Lewes, DE. For a complete listing of showtimes and films to be shown, go to this link.
- March 8 (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm): Delaware Politics 101, presented by Womens March Sussex-DE, to be held at South Coastal Library,43 Kent Ave, Bethany Beach, DE 19930. This event is free but reservations are required-- more information on registration will be available at this link.
- March 10th (6-8 pm): Delaware Politics 101, presented by Womens March Sussex-DE, to be held at Greenwood Public Library, 100 Mill St,Greenwood, DE 19950. This event is free but reservations are required-- more information on registration will be available at this link.
March 25th (6pm): The Lewes Library in conjunction with DE Humanities is having a Women's History Panel which will focus on the suffrage anniversary and it's impact beyond, at the Lewes Library. More details to follow as the event date draws closer.
- April 1 (6-8 PM): Delaware Politics 102, presented by Womens March Sussex-DE, to be held at Fish On, 17300 N Village Main Blvd, Lewes, DE 19958. This event is free but reservations are required-- more information on registration will be available at this link.