How Does The League Select Issues for Emphasis?
In League, Program means the issues that we choose for concerted study, education and action at local, state and national levels. Program can include both education and action.
The Program Planning process is part of what makes the League a grassroots organization; each League member has the opportunity to influence the selection of issues where the local, state, and national League will focus time, talent and money.
Every two years, members of local Leagues engage in Program Planning. Based on the results of this, the Board of Directors makes recommendations to the biennial convention delegates about the program to be adopted for the coming two year period.
In 2018-19, the Frederick County League is focusing on these issues and actions, based on our adopted positions:
- Continue to promote an informed voting citizenry that engages in the political process within all levels of government.
- Monitor state actions regarding alternate school funding to identify possible fiscal, social and academic impact on Frederick County schools necessitating response of the League.
- Continue monitoring of APFO, impact fees and mitigation fees within the County.
- Track the Livable Frederick project as the update of the comprehensive plan for Frederick County.
- Continue to monitor ethics within Frederick County government including recommending reforms to the State Public Ethics Laws and County Ethics ordinances.
- Identify and monitor the social and fiscal impact of Section 287 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Immigration Act within Frederick County.
- Continue to monitor implementation of the Charter government based on good government principles.
- Monitor the County’s Committee on Human Trafficking Recommendations from the Report.