History

History of the League of Women Voters

The National League of Women Voters was formally organized in Chicago on February 14, 1920, six months before the ratification of the 19th amendment to the Constitution. In 1920 a pioneer league was organized with 300 members. The emphasis was getting women to register and to vote. Another league was established in 1932. Why or when the two initial leagues disbanded is not known.
 
In 1960, after a very close aldermanic race was decided by 5 votes, a group of University faculty wives and local women began the work of organizing a local chapter of the League of Women Voters. The Stevens Point Area League of Women Voters began as a provisional chapter in 1961 completing provisional status requirements in 1963. 
 

The first local study was "a thorough study of the public school systems." Still active today a school issues committee continues to observe school board meetings, address local school referenda, school funding issues, and help organize school board candidate forums. 

Over the years the Stevens Point Area LWV has participated in many local, state and national studies. After studies are completed League positions are developed and approved by the membership. Local league positions address Portage County Public Library, Recreation, Local Government, Social Services, Transportation, Nuclear Power, Education, Natural Resources, Downtown Development and Eco-municipality/sustainability. Current local league membership is approximately 50 members.