Spring elections are for:
- School districts, local, county, and state nonpartisan offices.
- In Portage County, County Executive and County Board Supervisors
- For the city of Stevens Point, elections for mayor, clerk, treasurer, city attorney, municipal judge, and alderpersons.
- In presidential election years, Presidential Preference Elections are also held at this time.
When spring elections are held:
- The primary election before the spring election is held the third Tuesday in February.
- The spring election is held the first Tuesday in April.
- Elections for alderpersons from odd-numbered wards are held in odd-numbered years, while elections for alderpersons from even-numbered districts are held in even-numbered years.
Fall elections are for:
- Partisan elections are held in the fall.
- The primary election decides which candidate will represent each political party in the general election.
- At a partisan primary election, the voter must restrict their voting to candidates from only one political party or from the list of independent candidates. Crossover voting is not allowed.
- Each polling place has instructions on how to vote in a partisan primary, and election officials at each polling place can answer questions.
When fall elections are held:
- The primary election before the fall election is the second Tuesday in September.
- The general fall election is the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.