The League of Women Voters of the Stevens Point Area (LWVSPA) is nonpartisan. As an organization it does not support or oppose any political party or candidate for public office. The LWVSPA may take action for or against an issue or legislation following LWVSPA member study and agreement and/or based on National LWV positions.
The LWVSPA believes that political parties are essential to the American system of government, and the participation of informed citizens is beneficial to the political parties and to the system. Consequently, the LWVSPA encourages its members as individuals to be active in the political parties, in finding and supporting candidates for public office, and in seeking election to public office. However, in doing so, members must follow these guidelines:
- Members are not eligible to serve on the Steering Committee while seeking or holding public office.
- The Coordinator/Co-Coordinators, Voters Service Committee Chair, and any other Steering Committee member whose position has high visibility/sensitivity should not actively participate in any partisan political campaign.
- Members may either post a LWV lawn sign in their yard that promotes voting or a sign promoting a candidate. Members may not have both a LWV and a partisan sign in their yard. Coordinator/Co-Coordinators, Voters Service Committee Chair, and any other Steering Committee member whose position has high visibility/sensitivity should only post a LWV sign promoting voting in their yard.
- In co-sponsoring an event, it is important that national LWV guidelines for non-partisanship are agreed upon before co-sponsoring. All co-sponsored activities must be approved by the Steering Committee.
- The political activities of a spouse or relative of a Board member are to be considered as separate and distinct from the activities of the Board member.
There are no other specific restrictions on political activities. It is the responsibility of the Steering Committee individually and collectively, to ensure that the community has no reason to question the nonpartisan position of the LWVSPA, as an organization. This policy is to be reviewed and discussed annually.