The League of Women Voters of New Castle County (LWVNCC) President Marjorie Johnson's message for May 2020 is included below...
At the May LWVNCC Zoom Board Meeting we experimented with electronic chat and voting in preparation for the upcoming annual meeting. The following thoughts were expressed in our chat room in response to the question: Name one positive thing that has come out of this quarantine period for you. Amidst all the heartache, grief, and economic tragedy, and with gratitude to all those essential workers that no one ever noticed before, I share these with you and hope you will also have one of your own.
- “More time to read and cook.
- I don't have the virus.
- People have reconnected with themselves. It gives us time to reflect on what our priorities are. Realizing how little I need and re-aligning my viewpoint of what is important and what is not; what are real needs and what are just wants. I find I "don't sweat the small stuff" as much.
- Meeting so many neighbors that I had never seen, riding and walking. With kids, dogs and all saying Hi.
- People trying to work together. Families being together more and connecting.
- People are figuring out new and different ways to communicate. I have connected with some "old" friends that I haven't talked to in a long time. Having virtual “parties”.
- Learning to meet digitally saves wear and tear on the roads; saves time. Cleaner air.
- Nice to see everyone's hair looks like mine. Nice to see familiar faces without masks.
- My science background has really been renewed with this virus and antibody and immunization quest.
- One positive is how Covid-19 highlights the inequities in our culture—a call for action!”
STAY SAFE AND DON’T FORGET TO VOTE!
-- Marj Johnson