Newark, DE election results: Jay Bancroft was elected in the 3rd district and Jason Lawhorn in the 5th district, on July 28, 2020 (after an election delay from April to July due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak).
Request an Absentee Ballot
The city election for Council Districts 3 and 5 is to be held at the following polling places:
- District 3 - West Park Place Elementary School, 193 W. Park Place
- District 5 - First Presbyterian Church, Memorial Hall, 292 W. Main Street
However, the City of Newark strongly encourages City residents to vote via absentee ballot for the July 28, 2020 Council elections due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency. In early June, absentee ballot affidavits and a cover letter detailing instructions were mailed to every registered voter in Districts 3 and 5 that had not yet returned an absentee affidavit. Voters should return the completed affidavit by Friday, July 17 in order to receive absentee ballots in time for Election Day. All absentee ballots must be returned to the City Secretary’s Office no later than 8:00 p.m. the day of the election.
Candidates for Open Seats
The following candidates have filed for the office of District 3 Council member for a two-year term:
- Jay Bancroft, 715 Art Lane, jsb95003 [at] gmail.com
- Anthony Sinibaldi, 810 Lehigh Road, zippo249 [at] comcast.net
The following candidates have filed for the office of District 5 Council member for a two-year term:
- Brian K. Anderson, 309 Meriden Drive, bkadec5 [at] gmail.com
- Jason Lawhorn, 812 Hilltop Road, lawhornfornewark [at] gmail.com
The following candidates have filed for the office of District 6 Council member for a two-year term:
- Gordon Hendry - Withdrawn as of February 10, 2020
- Travis McDermott, 315 Amoroso Way, travismcd8 [at] gmail.com
More information can be found on the City of Newark Election site.