Membership to the League of Women Voters, the most respected grassroots organization in this country, is open to anyone 16 years or older. Our members are passionate activists who work together to create positive and lasting changes in our communities.
Please consider joining the over 150,000 League members who work in all 50 states and in more than 700 communities. Become a member, use your experiences to serve as a leader and work to shape important issues and keep our communities strong.
How Do I Become Active?
Please let us know what areas of the League of Women Voters you are interested in receiving more information on and/or how you would like to participate with the League. Please complete our Member Interest Survey and either mail it to LWVODC, PO Box 3397, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-3397, or complete the form on your computer and email it to our Membership Director Brenda Rogers.
How Much Time Does It Take?
It's up to you! Many members choose to support the League only with their annual dues. Your membership alone gives us the political influence needed to build a voice for citizens and a force for change. We cover a broad spectrum of issues and concerns; you may choose to become involved in one or more of them by actively participating in a committee, a group study, or listening to a panel of experts at a meeting or just reading about them in one of our publications.
What Are the Membership Dues and How are they Allocated?
Any individual aged 16 or older may become a League member. Dues are $60 for a single membership and $90 for a household membership (two people at the same address). Dues are not tax deductible.
A student membership is free. A student is defined as an individual who is enrolled either full or part-time in an accredited institution. For information on Membership Scholarships contact Brenda Rogers.
A portion of each member's annual dues is paid to the LWV-US and LWV-NC to assist their efforts on behalf of all Leagues. LWV-ODC’s membership dues, the most important part of our overall income, meet the administrative expenses of our League. They support our community forums, membership meetings, and voter education through candidate forums, voter services, and community education.
- Automatic membership in both LWV-US and LWV-North Carolina in addition to membership in LWV-ODC
- Publications and Action Alerts from National, State and our local League
- Opportunity to act on national, state and local issues through the Action Alerts
- Invitations to events sponsored by LWV-ODC and LWVNC
- Access to members-only events
- Opportunity to join any LWV-ODC committees.
- Opportunity to serve as and vote for LWV-ODC leaders
- Opportunity to attend and serve as a delegate at the LWVNC biennial state and LWVUS conventions
- Affiliation with an influential organization effecting public policy through education and advocacy
- Contribute valuable service to the community
- Gain knowledge and experience through the study and discussion of timely and important topics
- Discover new interests, develop new skills and learn about crucial issues in your community
- Make professional contacts and develop lasting friendships as you meet others in League who share your interests
There are two ways in which you may join the League of Women Voters:
- Pay your membership dues by check: Make your check payable to LWVODC and mail with your completed Membership Form to: LWVODC, PO Box 3397, Chapel Hill NC 27515-3397. If you would like to include a non tax-deductible donation with your membership dues, include the amount in your check.
- Pay your membership dues online. You may make an Individual or Household Annual Membership payment online or select an automatic Individual or Household renewal of membership payment. You may use your credit card via PayPal to pay your membership dues online. You do not need a personal PayPal account to make an online payment to the League.