In NC You Can Register to VOTE ONLINE! Spread the Word!!
The State Board of Elections in partnership with the NC Department of Motor Vehicles (NC-DMV) are offering some online voter registration services. If you have a NC driver’s license or DMV-issued ID, then at no cost and without conducting any DMV business, you will be able to:
- Register to vote
- Update your voter registration address
- Update your party affiliation
- Cannot change your name
Election Integrity During the COVID-19 Pandemic:
LWV-ODC and Leagues across the US are thinking about the safety of our citizens and the integrity of the elections during these unprecedented times. LWVUS has joined over 200 organizations supporting an effort led by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights advocating for the adoption of key policies to protect the 2020 Elections during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can read full letter and the recommendations here.
In a joint letter, LWV-NC, ACLU-NC, NC-Asian Americans Together, Democracy NC, Southern Coalition for Social Justice, NC Voters for Clean Elections and Common Cause have recommended actions that the NC State Board of Elections (NCSBE) can take to promote both citizens’ safety and the reliability of upcoming elections. The LWV of Orange, Durham and Chatham Counties supports these recommendations and have encouraged the Directors of Elections of our three counties to implement similar safeguards.
The recommended actions include:
- Institute digital or telephonic participation for county board of elections activities.
- Institute significant changes regarding the provision and design of absentee ballots in order to expand access and provide the opportunity for all voters to vote by absentee ballot.
- Develop contingency plans for moving to an all-mail election and protocols for when such a measure should be taken.
- Support intensive poll worker recruitment in order to ensure that the upcoming elections are fully staffed.
- If in-person voting is to remain available, polling locations must be moved out of buildings that serve populations at high risk for contracting the coronavirus, such as retirement facilities.
- Monitor and ensure adequate sanitation at all polling locations across the state.
- Fast track the transition to current online DMV registration in light of challenges facing in-person voter registration.
- Ensure adequate curbside voting as a low contact/no contact option.
- Provide guidance to counties and advocate for implementation of the aforementioned recommendations.
- Request adequate funding through the NC General Assembly.
- Request and utilize any available federal funds.
NCSBE sent a letter to Governor Cooper and the legislators also outlining similar recommendations on March 26, 2020. The League along with the coalition partners will continue to monitor and respond to the situation as they develop
2020 Voting Information Power Point Presentation by Pandora Paschal, Director, Chatham County Board of Elections
- NC State Board of Elections
- NC Voter Registration Application Form with Instructions
- Formulario de Aplicación / Actualización de Inscripción al Voto de Carolina del Norte
- NC Voter's Bill of Rights
- NC Voter's Bill of Rights (Spanish)
- Chatham County Board of Elections
- Durham County Board of Elections
- Orange County Board of Elections
- Contact your US Senators or your NC Senator
- Contact your US House of Representative or your NC Representative
Election rules differ state by state, and sometimes change from year to year. Using VOTE411.org, you can confirm your polling location, check if ID is required, and see what your personal ballot will look like. Confirming this information before heading to the polls saves you time and helps you make more informed decisions.
Launched by the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF) in October of 2006, VOTE411.org is a "one-stop-shop" for election related information. It provides nonpartisan information to the public with both general and state-specific information on the following aspects of the election process. Enter your information in VOTE411 on the left side of this webpage for personalized voting information.