Recent legislation in South Carolina has greatly impacted children and young adults under the age of 21, specifically in the areas of gender justice and healthcare. On March 14th, the LWV HHI-BA hosted a webinar information session to provide voters with the facts on gender and sexual identity from the perspectives of pediatric care, mental health, social and emotional development, and parenting. A panel of experts was assembled to clarify the difference between facts and misinformation and to enhance understanding of the complexities of gender and sexual identity. A legislative update was also provided and is summarized below.
- Nina Kennedy, LMFT, Savannah Registered WPATH Mental Health Provider offering consultation, assessment, and documentation for nonbinary/transgender individuals seeking medical transition.
- Elizabeth Mack, MD, MS, Charleston Pediatric Critical Care Physician, President of SC Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Carla Moore, Savannah Transgender Youth Group Leader, First City Pride Center.
- Elizabeth Perry Educator and Parent of Transitioning Child
Legislative Update: Melissa Moore WREN (Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network)
Legislative Update (Melissa Moore, WREN)
- 2022 requires athletes in South Carolina schools from the elementary to college levels to compete based on the gender to which they were assigned at birth. The law would prohibit transgender girls and women from competing in girls’ and women’s teams.
- 2022- Medical Ethics and Diversity Act has been signed into law by Gov. Henry McMaster. The new law lets health care providers refuse nonemergency care that conflicts with their religious, moral or ethical beliefs. Supporters say it protects doctors, nurses and medical students from being forced to violate their conscience. However, critics call the law a license to discriminate, especially against LGBTQ people.
- 623: birth certificates https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/623.htm
- 624: constitutional amendment related to biological
- sex https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/624.htm
- 627: latest version of the anti-trans healthcare bill https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/627.htm