Can you believe it’s May already! Time flies when you are busy, and we have another busy month ahead! You can access and print the PDF Voter using this link, or read on for highlights and links.
- At our monthly meeting on May 18, we’ll be learning what is involved in getting a “Complete Count” for our county in the 2020 Census – lots of advance planning is needed. Bring your friends and members of other groups to this one, because it will take all of us!
- For more on what’s coming up, including a reminder about our Annual Meeting in June, read the Leaders’ Letters from Martha Goralka and Suzan Requa, our Co-Presidents. Suzan’s suggestions for talking to local officials about Wildfire Prevention and Response are on a new webpage – we’ll keep adding material here as it develops (Suzan will have a caucus at LWVC Convention on this topic – way to go, Suzan!)
- Catch up with what our School Voter Education Team is up to with Shawn Gilbert’s account of their April activities – maybe you’ll want to join in. Or maybe you’ll want to add your name to the growing Observer Corps after reading Carol Murota’s description of what is happening there.
- If you missed the April meeting on Healthcare, Marian Shostrom brings you up to date and suggests some reading for you.
- Catching up with LWVC activities heading into Convention at the end of the month, note that the LWV Fresno has just proposed a concurrence to adopt a position on Charter Schools, something we requested during Program Planning this spring. Read the proposed wording and let us know what you think. FYI: The proposed concurrences on Criminal Justice and Election Processes have been recommended for passage at Convention, but the Civil Discourse and Homelessness positions are listed as non-recommended program items. Like the Charter Schools position, these must be voted on for consideration and will also take a 3/5 vote to pass.
- The campaign for Schools and Communities First, which will be a November 2020 ballot measure, has kicked off with a train-the-trainer event last month, which Carol Murota attended. A link to a webinar will be in the Members-Only section of the website soon. (Need info on how to access this part of the website? Contact Leslie at email@example.com for your personal username and password.)
- And LWVUS has announced a National Day of Action on February 14, 2020 to celebrate our 100th birthday! What will that look like? Stay tuned, starting with our new 100th Anniversary webpage!
League to which this content belongs:Diablo Valley