The League of Women Voters takes action on an issue or advocates for a cause when there is an existing League position that supports the issue or speaks to the cause.
Positions result from a process of study. Any given study, whether it be National, State, or Local, is thorough in its pursuit of facts and details. As the study progresses, a continuing discussion of pros and cons of each situation occurs. Prior to the results of the study being presented to the general membership, study committee members fashion consensus questions that are then addressed by the membership.
Additional discussion, pro and con, takes place as members (not part of the study committee) learn the scope of the study. After the members reach consensus, the board forms positions based on that consensus.
It is the consensus statement -- the statement resulting from the consensus questions -- that becomes a position. Firm action or advocacy can then be taken on the particular issue addressed by the position.
- Community College in San Mateo County
- Corrections System in San Mateo County
- County Charter and County Government
- Education K-12 & Quality Multicultural Education
- Health Care Delivery
- Homeless In San Mateo County
- Land Use
- San Mateo Public Library
- Transportation in San Mateo County
Joint Position with Palo Alto
- Stanford Land Use
State and National
- Positions of the League of Women Voters of California
- Positions of the League of Women Voters - National