State and Local Judiciary
Union County Offices:
Register & Recorder
- Townships & Boroughs
- Township Supervisors
- Borough Council Members
- Auditors and Tax Collectors
- School Directors
In this Municipal Election, there are several contested election races. A contested race means that, for a particular office, there are more candidates than open positions. For Union County voters, the following offices are contested election races:
- Justice of the Supreme Court
- Judge of the Superior Court
- Judge of the Commonwealth Court
- Union County Commissioners
- Union County District Attorney
Borough Council: New Berlin
Supervisor: East Buffalo & Union Townships
School Directors: Lewisburg, Mifflinburg, & Warrior Run
Hear candidates in contested races respond to voters’ questions at these League sponsored virtual candidate events:
- Lewisburg Area School District (LASD): There will be 8 candidates on the ballot for the LASD to fill 5 positions on the board. Six of those candidates attended this Candidates Night. They are Ashley Grant, Laura Graver, Cory Heath, Erin Jablonski, Justin Madaus and Tera Unzicker Fassero.
- Warrior Run School District, Region 1: There will be 2 candidates on the ballot for the Warrior Run, Region 1 to fill 1 position on the board. Both of these candidates attended this Candidates Night. They are Miranda Bailey and Tamara Hoffman.
- The board must work together to plan for the district. What two specific issues would you want the board to prioritize?
- How would you address planned capital expenses while keeping your district competitive with all the resources that students deserve?
- Not all students want or are ready to pursue a 4-year college degree. How dedicated are you to promoting options, such as SUN Area Technical Institute or Lycoming Career and Technology Center, for these students?
- What concerns, if any, do you have about current facilities for athletics and arts in your district?
- What are your guiding principles on how school boards should address questions about what information students can access in school, including what information educators can teach and discuss in their classrooms?
- There are already teacher shortages, and this situation is predicted to worsen as fewer individuals enter the field, and others depart early. What do you think districts should do to attract and retain talented teachers?
East Buffalo Township Supervisor Candidate Night
- How can the township supervisor improve the township’s walkability, ride-ability, and safety?
- Concerning policing, Fire protection, and EMS technology and response times: How effective are these services today? What can be done to maintain and improve the quality and readiness of these departments?
- Are there additional ways that Intergovernmental Cooperation can be used to address costs and future needs?
- Some residents are concerned that current brush and leaf pick up is not adequate. Do you see a need for the township to provide a place to drop off brush and leaves and/or increase pick up times?
- Current recycling center hours make it difficult for all residents to use it. How can this be addressed?
- Turtle Creek Park has been a welcome addition for dog owners. How can the township address additional needs for green spaces and recreational areas?
- How can the expansion of services be planned efficiently so that residents are not over-burdened with increased taxes?
- Is there an important issue that hasn’t been raised tonight that you would like to discuss?
- Get a personalized ballot and compare candidate responses side by side.
- Check for candidate responses that were uploaded after the printing of the LWVLA Fall Voters Guide (to download the Voters Guide, click on the button in the left margin of this web page).
- Read our LWVLA Fall Voters Guide for voting information and responses of candidates on the ballots in Union County.
- See the League-Sponsored Candidate Events section above to find links for LWVLA-conducted Candidates Nights for the local races of School Boards (in Lewisburg and Warrior Run) and Supervisor in East Buffalo Township.
- LWVLA’s Facebook page will announce any additional local Candidates Nights or candidate videos.
- Watch the PA Appellate Court Candidate Forum held on October 24, 2023 from 6:30 to 8:00PM to hear candidates for the Supreme, Superior, and Commonwealth courts of PA respond to questions in a moderated forum. After the event, a video recording will be available online. For this Candidate Forum, go to: