There are so many ways we are celebrating our centennial!
- We’re participating in a nationwide Day of Action on Friday, February 14, focused on the important issue of fair redistricting. There’s a role for you!
- Check out our webpage dedicated to the Anniversaries (LWV and the 19th Amendment).
- Read about two more suffragists – Marin’s own Elizabeth Thacher Kent, and our founding mother, Carrie Chapman Catt. See the full list so far (we’re still adding more).
- We finally have a (partial) album of those photos from LWVDV’s November trip to Sacramento’s celebration.
- If you couldn’t attend the Martinez suffrage exhibit reception on February 1st, remember that you can still visit the Contra Costa County Historical Society and see the exhibit until May 28th.
- Attend LWV Bay Area’s annual League Day, on Leap Day, February 29, to hear discussions of how women’s suffrage changed our world – and some of the issues that are still with us today. It’s just down the road in Fremont – let’s carpool!
- Still coming – a panel discussion at St. Mary’s College, a wonderful EqualiTea in San Ramon, and more. Start by signing up for Cal State East Bay’s Scholar OLLI course on April 22, “The Long Road to Suffrage”.
In other news, for those of you who live near or use the Iron Horse Trail, get your comments in by February 13 on a proposed new plan for the trail. We’ll be talking about this at Action/Advocacy Committee on February 8 at the League office.
Of course you know that the primary election is only a month away, so things are getting busy:
- Check out Voter’s Edge California (and nudge your candidates to post their information).
- Join us for a live candidate’s forum or two, in Pittsburg, Martinez or Brentwood. They’re all listed on our Calendar webpage.
- Want to “Vote with the League”? All of our endorsements are on our Action Alerts webpage.
- Be part of the Student Vote Registration Team working in our high schools to register students - Shawn has an update on current activities.
- Need a little inspiration for someone asking why voting matters? Read Suzan’s message for the month, and get fired up!
Our petition drive for Schools and Communities First is in the home stretch – we have a progress report.
Are you ready to learn more about the League? Maybe you have interested friends? Sign up for our next orientation on February 22 – it’s a fun and educational event!
Go, do, enjoy!!