LWVVC Civic Involvement and Nonpartisan Policy Guidelines
The purpose of the League of Women Voters is to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government. The League of Women Voters is nonpartisan in that it does not support or oppose any political party or candidate; it is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues after member study and agreement.
The League recognizes the role of the political parties in our form of government and believes that participation in the activities of the political parties is an essential ingredient of citizen responsibility.
While the League urges its members to be politically active, certain constraints are necessary in order to maintain the nonpartisanship of the organization. The Board of Directors of the League of Women Voters of Volusia County has established the following guidelines:
Guidelines for Members
- Members may not identify themselves as League members in publicly expressing an opinion that is in opposition to a League position. Only the president or his/her designee may speak publicly for the LWVVC.
- Members may serve on governmental commissions at their own discretion. If the appointment is as a League representative, the appointee should be fully aware of the League positions as they relate to the commission’s responsibilities.
Additional Guidelines for the Board of Directors
The Board recognizes the necessity of imposing additional limitations on Board members' political activity in order to protect the nonpartisan reputation of the League. With this objective in mind, the LWVVC Board adopts the following guidelines.
- Elected Office. Board members shall not run for nor hold any elective office during their term on the board.
- Political Party Office. The President and Voter Service Chair and Board members shall not serve in any position in a political party.
- Campaign Contributions. The President and Voters Services Chair may not attend fundraising events or make campaign contributions for candidates. Other Board members may attend fundraising events and make campaign contributions for candidates at any level, but may not self-identify as League members.
- Political Campaigns. Board members shall not chair or administer fundraising or political campaigns or chair a campaign event.
- Spouse’s Political Activities. The political activities of a spouse or relative of a Board member are to be considered separate and distinct from the activities of the Board member.
- Additional Clarification. Where these policy guidelines do not resolve an issue, questions about specific situations should be addressed to the LWVVC Board.
This nonpartisan political policy applies to all elections—partisan or nonpartisan. (Based on the State League Guidelines and those the State League recommends for local Leagues and LWVVC Board discussions and approval 6/20/12)