A federal judge in California has ruled that the U.S. census, which was scheduled to end Sept. 30, must continue through Oct. 31. The U.S. Census is required under the U.S. Constitution to occur every 10 years and is the process of counting all persons living in the United States and five U.S. territories.
Why it matters
The census is used to determine the number of Representatives each state receives in the House of Representatives. It is also used to determine federal funding levels for programs at the state and local level, such as housing, transportation, infrastructure, fire, police, EMS, schools, and more.
If residents are not accurately counted, our communities will not be properly represented in Congress plus an undercount would deny our communities vital funds that we need for roads, schools, hospitals, programs for the poor, the elderly, and children, and other critical services.
Companies in many industries use census data to make decisions on where to locate their facilities, so an inaccurate census count could cost us jobs.
It is critically important that all residents including noncitizens are counted.
Shape Your Future: The 2020 Census - Watch U.S. Census Bureau Video
What we’re doing
The League’s Census work will occur in three phases: (1) Education; (2) Get Out to Count activities, (3) Watchdog reporting. In the months leading up to Census Day—April 1, 2020—Leagues around the country will be in communities sharing information and resources about how to participate and the importance of the U.S. Census. On Census Day, the League will work in coalition to help get everyone counted, work in Complete Count Committees to share out information about low-reporting areas, and communicate where additional support is needed. Once the Census count wraps up in the Summer/Fall of 2020, the League’s will remain in communities and will watchdog any issues from the ground.
What can you do
- Respond to the census - online, by phone or paper survey VISIT 2020census.gov/en.html# COMPLETE Online Census Questionaire my2020census.gov/
- Encourage your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and others to complete the census.
- Take Action: Sign and Share the #CountMeIn Pledge
- Help our League educate communities and promote the census through locally based, targeted outreach efforts.
- Visit the Delco Counts Census 2020
- Help spread the word on social media about the importance of a complete census count. You can find social media materials and other partnership ideas at www.census.gov/partners/2020-materials.html.
NOTE: Completing the census online will cut down on costs and allow the US Census Bureau to focus on hard-to-count populations. More info will be available in early 2020.
For additional information contact our League Member, swhmdi53bwa [at] outlook.com (Barbara Amstutz).