All are invited to attend LWVWI's 2019 Issues Briefing. The day-long event will feature speakers and breakout presentations on the 2020 census, rights restoration and criminal justice reform, League environmental priorities, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, immigration, the ERA, and more. There will be many action-based takeaways that you won’t want to miss as we prepare for 2020.
Tentative Agenda / Schedule The event will be scheduled from 9:00AM - 4:30 PM, with check-in beginning at 8:30AM.
- Welcome: LWVWI President Debra Cronmiller and Executive Director Erin Grunze
- Morning Keynote Presentation: Dr. Clark-Pujara, UW Professor of History and Afro-American Studies, on the history of black men and women in what becomes Wisconsin and the struggle for rights including suffrage
- Current Issues Presentations:
- Networking / Lunch Buffet
- Afternoon Keynote Presentation: Virginia Kase, CEO of LWVUS, on the collective power of the League and the LWVUS 50 State Redistricting Reform Campaign
- Afternoon Breakout Sessions 1:
- National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC): Barbara Paterick, LWV Greater Green Bay and Irene Strohbeen, LWV Appleton
- 2020 Census: Matt Dannenberg, Wisconsin Voices, Census Organizer
- Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) Interactive Workshop: Tracy Williams-Maclin, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Executive Coach
- Afternoon Breakout Sessions 2:
- Environmental Advocacy and the League: Louise Petering, LWVWI Vice President
- Rights Restoration/Criminal Justice Reform: TBD
- Election Reform: Sara Eskrich, Democracy Found, Executive Director
Check back soon for updates and more information about the day's schedule.
Rooms are being held for attendees at the Radisson Hotel Madison for Friday night, October 18th, at a special room-block price of $124/night. To make your reservation, please call the Hotel front desk at 608-833-0100 and ask for the League of Women Voters block. This special room rate expires on September 27.