Registering to vote is the first step to participating in our democracy. If you have moved, changed your name, or have not voted in a while, you might need to re-register. Now is the time to get registered or verify that your registration is current. If you need to, you may also register to vote at the polls on Election Day.
How do you register to vote?
Register to vote online at
Bring your proof of residence
Keep in mind...
- You must present proof of residence to register to vote when registering in person or by mail (see PROOF OF RESIDENCE, below).
- You must register again if you move.
- If you have been issued a WI driver’s license or WI DOT-issued ID that is current and valid, you must provide the number and expiration date. If you have not been issued a WI driver’s license or WI DOT-issued ID, you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
Voters in WI affected by domestic abuse, sexual assault, or stalking may register as confidential voters with their municipal clerk. Find more info about registering as a confidential voter at https://elections.wi.gov/confidential-voters
Proof of Residence
The paper or electronic document must include your name and current home address.
Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents Include:
- A current and valid WI driver’s license or WI photo ID card.
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
- A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before registering.
- A bank or credit card statement.
- A paycheck or pay stub.
- A check or other document issued by any government agency or public school.
- Homeless voters can prove their voting address with an affidavit from a social service agency.
- A residential lease valid on date of registration (not valid if registering by mail).
- A university or college ID card if accompanied by a fee statement for the current semester.
- More Proof of Residence options