Register to Vote

Register to Vote

We each have the power to increase voter turnout. Make sure your friends and family are registered to vote.

Registering to vote is the first step to participating in our democracy. If you have moved, changed your name, or have not voted in a while, you might need to re-register. Now is the time to get registered or verify that your registration is current. If you need to, you may also register to vote at the polls on Election Day.

How do you register to vote?

register online 

Register to vote online at up to 20 days
before Election Day.

register bymail 

Register to vote by mail up to
20 days before Election Day.
Return your completed
registration form and a copy of
your proof of residence to your
municipal clerk.

register in person 

Bring your proof of residence
document and register to vote
in person at your municipal
clerks' office until the Friday
before Election Day.


Bring your proof of residence
document and register to vote
at your polling place on Election
Day when you go to vote.

 Find the registration deadlines here.

Keep in mind...

  • You must present proof of residence to register to vote when registering in person or by mail (see PROOF OF RESIDENCE, below).
  • You must register again if you move.
  • If you have been issued a WI driver’s license or WI DOT-issued ID that is current and valid, you must provide the number and expiration date. If you have not been issued a WI driver’s license or WI DOT-issued ID, you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • Voters in WI affected by domestic abuse, sexual assault, or stalking may register as confidential voters with their municipal clerk. Find more info about registering as a confidential voter at

Proof of Residence

The paper or electronic document must include your name and current home address.


Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents Include:

  • A current and valid WI driver’s license or WI photo ID card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.  
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before registering.
  • A bank or credit card statement.
  • A paycheck or pay stub.
  • A check or other document issued by any government agency or public school.
  • Homeless voters can prove their voting address with an affidavit from a social service agency.
  • A residential lease valid on date of registration (not valid if registering by mail).
  • A university or college ID card if accompanied by a fee statement for the current semester.
  • More Proof of Residence options