LWV ABC began an Observer Corps in 2015 to understand how the Anoka County Board of Commissioners works, inform the community, and make knowledgeable requests for changes. The Observer Corps is comprised of League and community volunteers who observe specific meetings. During the meetings, observers complete evaluation forms detailing specific criteria. The forms are used to create a report of county actions and procedures and recommend meeting protocol changes.
CMAL Study of County Governance - 2022
- LWV ABC Email to Anoka County Board members - November 28, 2022
- Study looks at accountability, transparency
- March 22, 2022 news article, Quad Community Press
- Update - CMAL Study of County Governance Blog Post - March 3, 2022
- CMAL January 20222 County Government in the Metropolitan Area Report
- Update – ABC Members Study Anoka County Governmen Blog Post - October 31, 2021
Update on Anoka County Portion of CMAL Study of County Government
Presented by Julie Trude, LWV ABC Vice President
November 8, 2021
Process for Appointment of County Adinistrator
- 2019 LWV ABC Letter to County Commissioners regarding Appointment Process - March 22, 2019
- Long-time Anoka County Administrator Jerry Soma retired effective May 1, 2019. The County Board considered two competing resolutions at their March 26, 2019 meeting. The first resolution would initiate a low-key internal search for candidates, the second resolution would appoint current County Board Chair Rhonda Sivarajah to the post.
Transparency in County Governance
- Meeting Summary 2017 - LWV ABC with Anoka County Staff and Commissioners
- LWV ABC members met with Jerry Soma, Anoka County Administrator, on October 31, 2017 to work with the county to address the issues noted in the letter of August 29, 2017.
- LWV ABC Letter to Anoka County Commissioners - August 29, 2017
- LWV ABC letter to Anoka County Commissioners after two years of observing Anoka County meetings
- Observer Group keeps tabs on Anoka County Board, leading to a policy change
- news article, December 15, 2016 Minneapolis Star-Tribune
For more information on Anoka County Board meetings and actions, see the Eye on Anoka County Facebook Group, managed by a LWV ABC member.
LWV ABC Advocacy for Fair Redistricting
Based on the 2020 Census, Anoka County had a deadline of April 26, 2022 to draw new district boundaries for Anoka County. Anoka County did not announce any opportunity for public input into the process of redistricting. On April 9, 2022, LWV ABC submitted a letter with two redistricting proposals. Both options centered on creating districts based on "community of interest", without consideration to where current commissioners reside, in contrast to the long-standing practice of simply tweaking existing districts which overly divided cities and eroded communities of interest. Following the April 13, 2022 county work group meeting, the county published all county proposed map scenarios and asked the public to submit their questions until April 19, 2022.
A new plan is superior to modifying the current plan at its edges. Decades of slightly modifying districts have overly divided cities and eroded communities of interest.
Gretchen Sabel, LWV ABC President, Letter to Anoka County Commissioners, April 9, 2022
LWV ABC Redistricting Proposal
- Update - LWV ABC Drafts Anoka County Commissioner Redistricting Maps Blog - April 12, 2002 Blog Post
- LWV ABC Letter to Commissioners
- LWV ABC Press Release on County Redistricting - April 11, 2022
- More Information
Redistricting Maps Proposed by Anoka County
Maps proposed by Anoka County staff
Public Comments on Redistricting
- Emails submitted to Anoka County Board on Redistricting April 13 to April 19, 2022
- Video of public comments at April 19, 2022 Anoka County Board Redistricting Workshop
- Petition submitted by Common Cause MN and the MN Alliance for Democracy was not published by Anoka County
Send an email to lwvabc [at] gmail.com and we will provide the training to be an impartial observer.
- Observer Corps members who attend a local meeting, please use the LWV ABC Observer Corps Report Form to report what you saw.
- LWVMN Observer Corp Handbook 2020