League advocacy is carried out by League volunteers. We testify at hearings, provide press conference statements, write letters to the editor and opinion editorials, and submit other written communications to public officials. Read our latest Legislative Wrap Up.
The League of Women Voters of Connecticut (LWVCT) retains the limited services of a legislative monitor to track bills on which the LWVCT has a position. We also retain a part-time, paid lobbyist to support LWVCT volunteers who lobby on LWVCT legislative priorities.
Find out about the Connecticut General Assembly, the legislative leadership, the types of committees and more on the CGA website.
A Guide to the CGA Website - A great tool to support effective advocacy.
How a Bill Becomes a Law in CT - How a bill becomes a law.pdf
Areas of Advocacy
|Government||Natural Resources||Social Policy|
|We work for a governmental system that is representative, accountable, and responsive.||We work for the protection and sustainability of natural resources.||We work for equal rights and equal opportunity for all, and promote social and economic justice and health and safety.|
Partners in Advocacy
LWVCT actively works in coalition with others to achieve our public policy goals. Coalition work can include actions such as participating in strategy meetings, coordinating testimony and/or action alerts, attending meetings with public officials, and participating in press conferences. Coalitions are listed below by policy area; if there is a lead Coalition partner that provides staffing support, they are indicated in parentheses.
- Clean Up CT Coalition
- Common Cause
- Connecticut Citizen Election Audit Coalition
- Citizens Transportation Lobby
- Clean Water Action
- CT Climate Coalition
- CT League of Conservation Voters
- Endangered Lands Coalition (CT Fund for the Environment)
- New England Climate Coalition
- Sound Alliance (Save the Sound)
- Transit for Connecticut Coalition (CT Fund for the Environment)
- CAGV: Connecticut Against Gun Violence
- Coalition for Choice
- Citizens Network of the Capital Region
- CT Coalition for Justice in Education Funding
- CT Housing Coalition and Home CT
- Keep the Promise Coalition (National Association of Mental Illness CT)
- Health Care4EveryOne (United Health Care Foundation)