Citizens' Rights: Voting, Civil Liberties, Reproductive Choices
Support of the following:
- The individual liberties guaranteed by the Wisconsin Constitution. The League of Women Voters of Wisconsin is convinced that individual rights now protected by the Wisconsin Constitution should not be weakened or abridged. (This position paraphrases the position on Individual Liberties of the LWVUS in reference to the U.S. Constitution.)
- The right and responsibility of individuals and groups to oppose by any non-violent means government actions that weaken or abridge the individual rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Wisconsin Constitution.
- The responsibility of state and local government officials to uphold their oath of allegiance to the U.S. Constitution and Wisconsin Constitution by protecting the individual rights of their constituents in the face of federal laws and executive orders that weaken or abridge them.
The League of Women Voters of Wisconsin believes that voting is a fundamental citizen right that must be guaranteed. Wisconsin election laws should provide citizens with maximum opportunity for registration, voting at the polls, and absentee voting. Election administration should be adequately coordinated and funded to achieve both statewide standards uniformly applied and local municipal effectiveness.
Regarding Voter Registration, we support:
- Convenient hours and places for registration
- Provision for well trained statewide special deputy registrars
- An accurate statewide voter registration list that is adequately maintained and protected from undue deletions
- Eligibility requirements applied uniformly to all electors
- Wisconsin’s successful Election Day registration to be preserved
- A variety of eligible proofs of identification and of current address to be retained
Regarding Voting, we support:
- Poll workers who are adequately recruited, trained and remunerated
- No photo ID or other requirements that place undue burden on the voter or erect barriers to voter participation
- Restoration of the voting rights of felons who are not currently incarcerated
- Provisions for observers at the polls
- Public observation of tabulation of votes
- Provisional ballots and well-defined redress of grievance procedures
- Protection against fraud at the polls
Regarding Absentee Ballots, we support:
- Broad availability of absentee ballots with no excuse needed to obtain a ballot
- Ease of obtaining and executing absentee ballots including adequate timing for voters to exercise their right to vote and election officials to process the ballots
Regarding Election Administration, we support:
- A Statewide Voter Registration System (SVRS) that is adequately funded to allow municipal and county clerks to do their jobs without additional undue financial burden
- A system of early voting primarily for presidential primary, presidential and gubernatorial elections that provides for the early ballots to be entered into the machine for validation but with no tallying until Election Day. The system should include security measures for the machines and a time frame that provides ample time for poll lists to be updated by Election Day. Multiple sites should be allowed at the discretion of the municipalities.
- HAVA (Help America Vote Act)-required matching of the SVRS with other state data lists should be done only for the purpose of improving the quality of the SVRS lists and not to determine voter eligibility
Right to Privacy in Reproductive Choices
Action to protect constitutional right of privacy of the individual to make reproductive choices.