The League of Women Voters of Hingham (with female and male members residing in Hull, Weymouth, and Cohasset) is a local chapter of the League of Women Voters of Massachusetts and the League of Women Voters of the United States. Membership in our local League automatically enrolls the member in both our state and national organizations.
Our League is actively engaged in advocacy based upon research and member consensus. In keeping with our mission of encouraging citizen participation, it is no surprise that many of our members sit on town boards and committees and hold elective office in multiple towns.
The LWV Hingham is a volunteer organization led by a Steering Committee and members who are responsible for various activities. In addition, Kate Boland serves on the LWV Massachusetts Board of Directors as Membership Chair and a Trustee of the Lotte E. Scharfman Education Fund.
|Steering Committee||Cathe Shetzline (Chair), Eva Marx (Secretary), Nancy MacDonald (Treasurer), Nina Wellford|
|Advisory Committee||Nancy Bettinger, Kate Boland (Membership), Nes Correnti, Celia Nolan, Chartis Tebbitts, Chris Wilk (Voter Service)|
|Candidates Night||Chris Wilk|
|I Voted Today Stickers||Caitlyn Shea|
LWV Hingham engages members through a wide variety of programs and activities. Members may participate in any activities that are in their interest. Guests are welcome when accompanied by a Member.
- LWV Hingham Member Forums -- Be informed on topics of the day -- South Hingham development, Hingham Harbor development, Aquarion Water Acquisition Study, CPA program, etc.
- Day on the Hill -- Members meet with our Legislators and participate in LWV MA program at the Massachusetts State House
- State of the State -- Member Forum with MA Representatives and Senator in a fireside conversation on legislative priorities
- Candidates Night -- Public candidates forum for Hingham political offices
- Sip and Chat -- Semiannual informal member discussion on timely Hingham issues
- Voter Registration -- League Members help Hingham High School students register to vote
- Warrant Review -- Annual Public Education Forum about Hingham Town Meeting Warrant
- I Voted Today Stickers -- Stickers created by the LWVH and distributed at polling locations
- 4th of July Parade -- Members' and families' participation in LWV-hosted parade
LWVUS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy
LWV Hingham, as a chapter of LWVUS, is an organization fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in principle and in practice. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, gender identity, ethnicity, race, native or indigenous origin, age, generation, sexual orientation, culture, religion, belief system, marital status, parental status, socioeconomic status, language, accent, ability status, mental health, educational level or background, geography, nationality, work style, work experience, job role function, thinking style, personality type, physical appearance, political perspective or affiliation and/or any other characteristic that can be identified as recognizing or illustrating diversity. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the organization’s current and future success in engaging all individuals, households, communities, and policy makers in creating a more perfect democracy.
Clearly, League of Women Voters members share a commitment to voter rights, education and civic engagement! We look forward to new people joining our League. Let us know if you would like to be our guest at a members' meeting to find out whether becoming a member interests you!