On November 5, 2020, the LWV Hingham met to discuss submitting a citizens petition warrant article for the 2021 Hingham Open Town Meeting to require the Town to use gender neutral terms for government business. This article proposes changes in a manner consistent with the examples below such as:
- “Board of Selectmen" changes to "the Select Board"
- "Selectmen" changes to "Select Board member" or "member of the Select Board"
- "Chairman" changes to "the Chair" or "the Chairperson"
- "Vice-Chairman " changes to "Vice-Chair" or "Vice-Chairperson"
- "He/She " changes to "they "
- "His/Hers" changes to "their"
- "Him/Her " changes to "them"
as of March 23, 2021
The Advisory Committee reviewed the warrant article and draft comment at their meeting. Davelene Cooper, Advisory Committee member assigned to the article, responded to questions posed at previous meetings and read a summary of the draft comment. The Advisory Committee voted unanimously to recommend the article for Town Meeting approval.
The LWV Hingham appreciates all the work to fine-tune the language of this article. We look forward to support at Town Meeting on May 8th.