The Delaware County Board of Elections at its September 16 meeting recommended the purchase or lease of Hart Verity Voting Machines to Delaware County Council. The next meeting of Delaware County Council is Tuesday, September 24 at 10 am in the County Council Meeting Room, 1st Floor, Government Center Building, Media to discuss their September 25 agenda and we hope they will vote on Wednesday, Sept 25 to purchase or lease the Hart machines. We urge you to come and learn more.
The League supports the choice of the Hart Verity machine because it has:
- hand-marked, paper ballots that are readable by voters with no bar codes;
- ballots that can be read and counted by an optical scanner and recounted by hand as needed.
- accessibility for handicapped individuals to use a touch screen machine that provides a printed ballot that confirms their choices without a bar code and is read by an optical scanner;
- the ability to continue voting in a power outage with a secure box into which voters can manually slide their ballots;
- maximum security to protect our votes from hacking or other tampering;and
- simple mechanisms to open and close the machines as well as operate machine that will encourage people to work at the polls.
In April 2018, the PA Department of State informed counties they must select new voting systems that provide a paper record and meet 21st-century standards of security, auditability and accessibility no later than Dec. 31, 2019, and preferably have a system in place by the November 2019 general election. The League strongly supports this directive. We believe voting machines with a paper trail are essential for a fair and accurate voting process.
Keep visiting this site to learn more about the next steps to be taken and the League's plans to help voters learn how to use the new voting machine once one is selected. Contact Olivia Thorne, President, LWV Delaware County at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
"Out With the Old In With the New" article in the Swarthmorean gives additional information about the pros and cons of different voting machines.